Monday, December 26, 2011

Erste Zauberflöte

Today with a Christmas gift from Oma and Opa we went to Sammy's first opera : Die Zauberflöte (Magic Flute).


Sammy was VERY engaged for the whole of Act 1 (when most of the best stuff happens). Here we are getting some apple juice at intermission.



After the Queen of Night's big aria in Act 2, Sammy found the proceedings a bit dull. I agreed, so Sam and I went to get some orange juice and a pretzel.



After we came back Sam followed the tradition of so many opera goers before him by falling fast asleep. I tried to wake him up towards the end to no avail. When he finally woke up an hour later on the couch at home, he said, "But I wanted to hear the Pa-pa-papagena part!" I guess that means he liked it. We're watching clips on youtube as I write this.

2 comments:

Elaine said...

Looks like you are having a wonderful time visiting!

I am so impressed with Sam for sitting (taking a nap totally counts - it is not his job to keep himself awake) through that boring interpretation of Magic Flute! I have yet to take a nap in the Darmstadt Staattheater but the seats are pretty comfy.

We will be in Darmstadt until mid-summer 2012 and depending on the government fellowship may come back for the autumn 2012.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Sam! I didn't see the Magic Flute until I was at least 11. It was my first opera too. We are proud of you!
Love,
Grandma